Monday, September 19, 2016

No Growth in the Comfort Zone

Unfortunately, the investigator pool is pretty shallow still. It is starting to get a little more frustrating. Everyone is religious. That is a good thing mostly, but it is very frustrating to missionaries. We are pretty recognized among the people here. People know the missionaries as the Jesus people, or the Mormon boys. So a lot of people come to the door look through the screen door, recognize us, sigh and then either close the door, or open it just wide enough for them to say they aren't interested. That happens at about half of the doors that are opened. The other half will talk to us for a little bit until we bring up the fact that we are missionaries and they quickly state that they are Lutheran, Methodist or Catholic. There are some outliers of course. Too many people will tell us that they are too comfortable in their own religion or they are too old to change.  Every time we hear that someone is comfortable, I think of that quote about no growth in the comfort zone. I wish that people would realize that there is so much more if they would just hear our message. But never fear! We will keep knocking doors until the Second Coming if we have to. We will find some investigators, I know it. 

These first couple of weeks have been extremely humbling for me. But I have also realized some things. I love the Book of Mormon. I have been reading it every free moment I have these days.  I love that book and I can testify without a doubt that it is the word of God. Joseph Smith wouldn't have suffered the things he did if it wasn't the truth. My love for the Book of Mormon has doubled in just the few short weeks I have been here. I was thinking the other day that even if I knew that that love for the Book of Mormon was the only thing I took away from my mission, I would still fill out my mission papers. I admonish you all to read it a little more and ponder on the words inside. It is more powerful than we can even imagine. 

That is about all that has happened this week. I am learning so much and I am so grateful that I am serving in Iowa. Every once in a while I have this feeling of peace as I look out the window at the acres of corn as we drive by. I know I'm where I am supposed to be, I just need to find the person who I am supposed to meet. 

I love you all so much and I hope you all have an incredible week.

One of the Jesus People,

Elder Obray

No comments:

Post a Comment