Monday, October 24, 2016

Sometimes You are the Statue

Hey Hey Hey! Man, if I am being honest this week was a pretty ordinary week. I hear that it is pretty common to have a slow week the week right after a baptism, what a true statement. I will do my best to keep this email entertaining and exciting to read, but don't expect anything too miraculous. 

Diane got confirmed yesterday! What a great experience. The ward has been so great to her so far. I don't doubt that she will fit right in with the Mormons. When Elder Dunford finished her confirmation and blessing, she had tears streaming down her cheeks. She was so excited to be a member of the church! She is such a great lady and I am going to miss seeing her all the time. I kind of feel like a proud parent taking his kid to preschool for the first time.

I do have a little bit of a funny experience to share. We were teaching Diane one of the New Member lessons this week.  We had knocked for the majority of the morning and it was a little warm outside. We were on bikes so it was extremely refreshing to step into her cool apartment. As we were teaching her the Restoration, my eyes started to get a little heavy. She began telling us a story that we had heard before. I did my best to stay focused, but I started to doze off a little bit. This went on for a few minutes until eventually I started to fall asleep. I wasn't completely out so I still had an idea of what was happening. Diane finished her story and Elder Dunford began leading the lesson along again. He didn't realize that my head was laid back on the couch and my eyes were closed. He finished his part and I half-consciously noticed the silence that is usually the indicator that it was my turn to take over. I sat up straight and said, "After Jesus and his apostles were killed, eventually the earth entered into a state of apostasy!" Diane looked back at me confused and Elder Dunford busted up laughing.  It turns out that we weren't quite to that part of the lesson yet and I had skipped some major points in the lesson. I laughed and was able to get my foot out of my mouth and we continued the lesson. Luckily Diane is such a nice lady because I was embarrassed! All part of the missionary experience I guess. 

Other than those wonderful experiences it has been a pretty slow week. We were dropped by a couple of our potentials. We are basically back to square one. Let's just say that my door approaches are going to be fire here in the next couple weeks. We have knocked a lot this week but haven't been able to find any potentials. But of course we keep trying and keep knocking. It is all worth it once you find that one person who expresses even the slightest interest. 

One thing that is kinda cool in Iowa is that everyone who lives here has either lived in Utah or has family there, especially in the Mormon community.  I am pretty sure that half of the members in our ward are Utah natives. When people heard that I was from Utah I immediately became known as the "Tall One from Utah" to the people who can't remember my name. What a blessing.

We were at Jimmy John's this week and I read a quote on the wall. It said, "Not every day is a sunny day, some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." Let’s just say this week I was a tall, skinny missionary statue. But of course a new week brings new opportunities. I don't doubt that we will find a new investigator this week. We just have to keep on moving forward. 

I sure do love you guys and I think about you a lot. I hope you all have an awesome week. Be the Pigeon this week!

The tall one from Utah,

Elder Obray

No comments:

Post a Comment