Monday, February 20, 2017

I'm Not in Iowa Anymore!

Hey Hey Hey! Man, it has been a wild week. I don't have a ton of time to email this week so this email will most likely be all over the place. Be patient with me. First of all, sorry for the late email. Of course yesterday was President's day so all of the libraries were closed. Hopefully you will forgive me for keeping my transfer information to myself for an extra day. 

As you probably guessed I got transferred from the Ames ward. I am currently serving in the East Moline, Illinois area, in the Riverbend 2nd Ward. Crazy stuff. I guess I am now on the other side of the Mississippi for a while. I have only been here for a few days but I love it already. On my first day, we taught two restoration lessons on people’s door step and even found a new investigator.  It is very different than Ames, Iowa. Moline is pretty close to some huge corporations. John Deere and Tyson's both have huge plants here. Because of that, there are a ton of immigrants from Africa here. There are ton from a French speaking country called Togo. It is awesome. They are so nice! They all just work and work and send all their money they can back home to Togo. Pretty humbling talking to some of these people. We are so blessed! 

My new companion's name is Elder Blau from Emit, Idaho. He actually came out with Elder Balderston, so I had met him before while at the new trainers meeting. He loves missionary work and has a super strong testimony and love for others. There is always something to learn from your companions so I am excited to learn from him. One thing that is super sweet is that we are in a car share with Elder Seljaas and one of the guys in my MTC district. We are around each other all of the time so it has been awesome to hang out with those guys. Don't worry I dunked on Elder Seljaas a few times yesterday during P-Day. He is a stud! We have already had some good times. 

Leaving Ames was a lot harder than I thought. I got a small preview of what it will be like when I leave my mission to go home. I really loved serving in Ames. We spent most the week last week visiting members and saying goodbye and packing up all my stuff. Saying goodbye to those we taught wrecked me. It was hard to say goodbye. I felt like I was leaving my own children. I am definitely going to miss them, but I am sure that our paths will cross again. It was also tough to leave some of the members. I am not sure if I have mentioned how much I have enjoyed serving with the Ward Mission Leader there. His name is Brother Sharp. He is awesome. He definitely set the bar pretty high for all of my future mission leaders. I have some pictures of some great people I will miss from Ames. But I guess the Lord needs me elsewhere. 

Well I probably need to send this one off. Sorry this email is shorter than the rest, but then again I usually write way too much. I hope you all have a great week! I love you and miss you all a ton. 

From the Other Side of the Mississippi,
Elder Obray







 

No comments:

Post a Comment