Monday, August 21, 2017

The Secret Life of Elder Obray

Holy Cow! Man, this whole mission thing is going by way too quick. I can't believe that it is already P-Day again. The days are cruising by and it makes me so nervous. I feel like life is in fast forward and I kinda wish it would slow down a little bit, but all is well. We saw some amazing miracles this week and I am stoked to talk about it. So, let’s get to it. 

Man, where to start. Our area is pretty poppin' right now. We are continually finding new investigators. We don't have as much time as I would like to find, but it seems that every time we go out for a few minutes we end up inviting someone to be baptized. The Lord is definitely hooking us up right now. I definitely feel like some of the sacrifices I made early in my mission are finally starting to pay off. What a blessing. I will first talk about the coolest experience of the week. 

Elder Robley and I have been praying to find those who are prepared in this area, there is so much potential here and we want to do everything we can to find those who are ready. One morning, we were teaching one of our District Leader how to conduct a baptismal interview, I was role playing a 10-year-old boy named Fabian and he was interviewing me, when the phone rang. It was this guy named W and he has met with missionaries in the past. He told us that he was cleaning up his apartment and he found a Book of Mormon he received from some Elders a few months ago. They taught him a couple times and he lost contact. He told us that he was very interested in learning about our church. WHAT? We set up a time later that day to visit him. He is so solid. We had one of the best restoration lessons of my mission in his apartment. We invited him to baptism and to come to church and he gladly accepted. Unfortunately, he had to work Sunday morning so he wasn't going to be able to make it. But wait! He called us that night and told us that his boss told him not to come in and that he wanted to come to church! It was awesome, W is the man, he is working to be baptized in September. We are pumped for him. 

Our ward has kind of been cracking down on us lately. Our area is notorious for baptizing people too early and who aren't really prepared. There are hundreds of people on our ward list who have been baptized and are now inactive. We have a lot of work to do.

One other cool thing that happened this week was on Sunday we were at a member’s house for lunch when we got a call from our Bishopric. They told us a sister in the ward needed a blessing and that we should go check it out. When we got there, this woman was super sad, she was in a nursing home and was really having a hard time. As we talked to her, she told us she was considering suicide. Oh man... We kept talking to her and by the end of the meeting she was smiling and laughing. We gave her a blessing and she was so grateful. The priesthood really is the coolest thing. We are going to be visiting her regularly for a while. The things you do on a mission man... Who knew?

Some other highlights of the week that I won't go into too much detail, I gave another talk in sacrament, one of our investigators wants me to baptize her just because I told her I like rap music, Elder Robley and I are writing a rap, we gave three blessings to the same Sister missionary... There is a place in our area that is called the Grim Reaper wall which is literally a hit list, so many other things happened this week but you'll just have to trust that it was a great week and I am happy to be here. 

I am so grateful to be out here on a mission. I love it more and more every day. Times are still hard, but the joy of missionary work is unparalleled. 

I love you guys,

Elder Obray

My two favorite little Liberian boys! We are teaching their mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment