Monday, January 22, 2018

The Word of Wizzum is the Shizzum

Hey hey hey! Man, this week was definitely a wild one. I am excited to tell you all about it. I had one of the craziest experiences of my mission last night so most of the email will probably go into giving you the details on that. So lets get to it! 

As you seem to have found out already, they aren't getting rid of me yet. I guess I need to be in Des Moines for a little longer. There must be something that the Lord needs me to do here. I have some mixed emotions about staying in this area for another transfer. By the time this transfer is up, I will have been here for close to seven and a half months.  Pretty wild. I was emotionally separated from this area at the beginning of the week. I started saying goodbye to members and investigators. I had already started cleaning up my closet to make the packing process easier, but luckily didn't start packing. I thought for sure I was headed out. It is extremely rare to stay in an area longer than four transfers, but I guess President Badger can't afford to let me out of his sight. He needs to keep me in line. 

 I am excited to stay another transfer with Elder Hadfield, he is a good guy, we have close to zero in common, but it is all good, we are getting some great work done in our area. 

The entire week was spent mostly with getting missionaries sent home, and getting the new missionaries in our zone settled in. We had some big changes take place that I think will be good for our zone. Pretty wild thing is that there was a missionary who was born into the mission when I got here. In the time that I have been here, that missionary was trained and then he trained another missionary and he and his boy are both gone before me. I guess that is what I get. We also spent time in meetings and all that good stuff. What a week.

This all leads us to my favorite experience of the week. Elder Hadfield and I were out knocking doors last night, it was time for us to head in for the night, but we decided that we needed to knock on one more door... You already know it is going to be a wild experience from that intro right? As we knocked on this door (it was a duplex house) the man who owned the place next door stumbled out of his apartment and came and introduced himself to us. At first, I didn't recognize that there was anything odd about this man, but he smelled like alcohol. He invited us into his house because he wanted to chat. Of course we didn't think anything of it we just got excited that we got invited in. When we got into his apartment he turned the lights on and I finally saw this man's eyes. They were all kinds of red and his pupils were dilated. He was on another planet. I have never seen somebody so drunk in my life. He was unhealthily drunk. He asked us if we could help him get to the hospital for detox. He then gave me this book out of his pocket with his AA group numbers and his sponsors name and number. So of course I called this man up, he said that he would be there in 30 minutes, as we got up to leave, I felt like we needed to stick around and make sure this man didn't drink anymore, so we sat in an incredibly drunk mans house for close to 40 minutes trying to convince him not to drink anymore. At one point we asked him how much he had drank. He wobbled into his bedroom and brought back a half full bottle of Vodka. I grabbed it from him and told him that we would take care of it for him. Elder Hadfield then asked him if he had any more bottles. He led us into his disgusting room with all kinds of nasty stuff on the walls and we pulled out six more bottles of vodka. Holy cow I was disgusted. At one point he grabbed the half full bottle out of my hands and took another shot. I grabbed it back from him and dumped it all in his sink where I found a home made blunt. Man it was terrible. The poor guy was destroyed. I like to think that we helped this man out a little, because he was in real bad shape. Man if I didn't have enough reason to follow the Word of Wisdom I sure do now. Words can't even describe that mans condition. I guess I am glad that we were there to help. If you need more motivation to live the Word of Wisdom call me (or I guess email me for now) I have a laundry list full of experiences that will help. 

With that wonderful experience in mind, I want to close it down with a spiritual thought for the week. In Romans 8:31 it mentions, "...If God be for us, who can be against us?" In the days we live in today, it seems that the morals encouraged by the church are frowned upon and people are becoming more and more distant to religious worship and church attendance. I have become so aware that there are so many people out there that do not like our faith. The reasons for their hate are beyond me. I love this scripture because if we are on the Lord's side, we are never going to be on the losing team. We will always stand victorious if we defend the Lord's church and it's standards. We should never be afraid to defend what we believe.

Well that is about all I have for you this week. I am playing yet another song at MLC on the piano, serving so close to the Assistants has kind of made me their default musical number guy. I will let you know how it goes. I am playing my guy Trevor's favorite song "Be Still My Soul" I am sure it won't be anything close to your performances, but I will definitely do my best. 

I love you guys. Have a great week.

The stand in AA Sponsor,

Elder Obray


My favorite guy, C

I ran into my girl, Sister Cannon! She is the coolest
The last P Day of the transfer


No comments:

Post a Comment