Sunday, March 18, 2018

Celestial Potential

Hey Hey Hey! Man, it was been a wild week over here in the promised land. It has been one of the more spiritual weeks of my mission so I am super pumped to talk to you all about it. Lets get right to it.

I finally found a new suit. Definitely had a spiritual prompting to try a different store right as I was about to purchase a more expensive less classy suit. I got a 600 dollar suit for 250 bucks. What a miracle. It is a pretty nice Navy Calvin Klein slim fit suit. It was marked as 40 percent off, but then there was a special deal running that if you donated a dollar, you could get an extra 30 percent off. No complaints. When you are on the Lord's errand, he hooks you up. 

We had some really cool lessons this week. The first one I will talk about, is our awesome investigators W and C. They are a part member family here in the ward. W is living with a member in our ward so we have been working on helping them get ready for baptism. We have taught them a bunch of the lessons and this week was the time for the Law of Chastity. It is always a super awkward lesson when you know the couple isn't living the commandment. Elder Sampson and I went in with a member and got right to it. The lesson was awesome. The spirit was really strong throughout the lesson and we utilized a wonderful training given by a killer zone leader a few months ago about teaching about divine potential to help investigators live the Law of Chastity. We planned to have our ward mission leader who was with us and was their bishop for a while ask them if they were married and give them the counsel they needed. When it came time for him to pop the question, nothing. Elder Sampson and I scrambled to think of something to say and luckily the spirit helped us out. I testified of the power of forgiveness and the atonement and then Elder Sampson asked them when they would be ready for baptism. They are getting the marriage taken care of and are working towards baptism on April 14th. C is W's eleven year old son who is super pumped to get baptized. We are so stoked for them. Lets go! 

An update on my guy S. He is doing so great. He is making so much progress, he committed to live the word of wisdom this week. When we invited him to live it, he told us "I drink coffee every day, but I know that it won't be too hard to give up" He is doing so awesome. In his prayer at the end of the lesson he said "Father, I now know that my body is a temple, please help me to only put good things into so that I can have your spirit with me." That is what every missionary wants to hear after that lesson. He is the man. He is also working for the 14th of April. What a legend.

Remember my girl D? She is getting baptized this weekend. I am so pumped for her. She is the coolest, and the best part, is that because I am so close, I will be able to go back and be there for the baptism. I am so pumped for her! I love Liberian Iowans.  

The mission tour was a success. We had a great week. We had two separate conferences, so we got to go to them both. Elder Costa was great. He said some really wonderful things. We were really nervous going in just because usually the authorities come in and just wreck the mission. It wasn't too bad though. He was impressed by the Iowa Des Moines mission. He is from Argentina so at times I don't feel like he could express himself in the ways that he wanted to, but it was still good none the less. I learned some really good lessons from him. He taught very simply and definitely had the spirit with him. His story was really cool too, he shared about his conversion and the missionaries that helped him. Pretty similar to his conference talk last April. One of the things that really hit me, was when he said "Every day when you look into the mirror, remember that you are a child of God and that you have Celestial Potential." It was a really powerful moment, Elder Oaks has referred to missionary work as opening the doors to the Celestial Kingdom through baptism. It was a cool experience to feel the spirit testify to me of that truth about missionary work. I am grateful to be a part of it. For the most part, we didn't have too much of an opportunity to talk with him. He was all business, during meetings he was on a tight schedule so he didn't have too much time to talk. I tried to throw in a couple jokes during the conferences and he didn't seem to appreciate them. Nothing serious though. The Obray name is still honorable. 

I think my favorite part of being an assistant is interacting closely with President and Sister Badger, they are the greatest people (besides Bob and Jen of course). I have so much respect for President Badger. He is an amazing example of a Christ-like leader. Like the last mission tour we had, my favorite comments were from him. He told us, that our job as missionaries is to strengthen our own testimonies so that we endure to the end and live with our Heavenly Father again. He then said, we cannot fully achieve this purpose with out helping others return home too.
Our Heavenly Father's purpose is for all of us to receive Eternal Life, but He humbly asks for our help to achieve it.

Have a wonderful week. 

The Elder who can fit into a slim fit suit again,

Elder Obray

One of the conferences

No comments:

Post a Comment