Sunday, March 11, 2018

Men Are They That Might Have Joy

Hola mi familia! Elder Sampson has been teaching me some Spanish lately so I am basically a Spanish missionary. Look out, I might have a hard time remembering English when I come home! I can officially pray over the food in Spanish. 

 This week was a good one. So lets jump right into it. 

First off, we finally got to spend more time in our area this week. All of the drama of transfers is over, we have made all of the plans for the next little while so we got to get out and do some old fashioned missionary work. What a blessing. We found a plethora of people to teach this week that I am super stoked about. One in particular I am pumped about. His name is N and he is a Liberian/Indian. He is a stud. He has met with missionaries before and even attended church a few times. The best thing about him though is that he is living with a girl... But they are married! What the? That never happens these days. We are pumped to teach him again this week. He is going to get baptized no doubt. 

We have also been teaching a super solid guy named S. He is from the happiest place on earth. He is the man. We gave him a reading assignment last week to read 2 Nephi 2 and when we came back this week he basically taught us the Plan of Salvation and testified of how true our church is. Buckets! He came to church this week and is looking forward to baptism on April 24. He is married to a member too, gotta love the part member families! You guys need to see the outfits that Africans wear to church. They are so sick. I think I am going to buy one here in a little just because they are the coolest. Look out for me coming off the plane in an African get up. 

Elder Sampson and I had to do some traveling this week to close down some apartments. We just don't have as many missionaries anymore, so we are having to close down areas and shut down apartments. That means my professional mover title has returned. Gotta love it. We got to travel up past the promise land of Ames and of course all of the good memories of my time there came flooding back. If we plan a trip out here next summer, we will have to make sure to visit up there. It will be easy, because all of my favorite people are with in an hour radius. 

As I mentioned last week, we share a building with the Des Moines ward so I get to see my friends there every Sunday. Today, after our church ended I walked into their Gospel Principles class while they were setting up and got to see my favorite lady D! When she saw me she ran up to me and shook my hand and said, "Oh my I miss you!" She is the coolest lady. She is getting baptized next Saturday and I couldn't be more excited for her. Definitely one of my favorite finding stories of my mission. 

I have been thinking a lot this week about joy. I always think about what President Nelson said in the October 2016 conference, "saints can be happy under any circumstance." I love this so much because it is so true. The motto that I have taken on for my mission is the same as it was before my mission. "Attitude Determines Altitude." As members of the church, we have the Atonement of Jesus Christ and through it, any circumstance that we are in can be made a happy one. Our Heavenly Father's purpose is for us to return to Him, but I also believe that he desires our happiness and joy along the road. 

We have our mission tour this week, so I am super pumped to spend time with Elder Costa from the Seventy. Pray that I don't say anything dumb to embarrass our family. 

I love you guys! Have a great week. 

The Professional Moving Company,

Elder Obray


no pictures this week... I will take a bunch this week for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment