Monday, December 19, 2016

Baby It's Cold Outside... Real Cold

Man what a week over here in good old Ames. I will start out this email with a weather report. If I thought that I had experienced cold weather back home in Utah, I have never been more wrong. The cold here is like nothing I have ever felt before.  No matter how many layers you wear, the wind somehow works its way into your bones. It is incredible. All part of the mission experience though right? On Sunday morning, we woke up and checked the weather. At around eight o'clock it was thirteen below zero base temperature, but with the wind chill factor it was around thirty below. At that point the mission actually stops us from doing any tracting so we either go to set appointments or we sit in our apartment. Luckily we have had some appointments this weekend so we didn't spend too much time relaxing. 

In case you didn't know just how cold it is here, I will share this to give you an idea. I have been kind of sick this week and one of the symptoms has been a stuffed up or runny nose. One of the days we walked outside and I had a pretty runny nose. The snot in my nose literally started to freeze. It was incredible! I wrapped my feminine scarf around my face and knocked on the next door. I am such a trooper. 

Last night it got pretty cold again so we couldn't go out. We did the only logical thing that we missionaries could think of. We met together in the Ames 2nd Elder's apartment and shaved our legs. Man what a wonderful feeling. I will include some pictures of the experience. 

We had Zone conference on Tuesday so I was able to see Elder Dunford and Elder Zackrison as well! Man it was good to see those guys. Elder Dunford loves Des Moines. We sure had some good times. Because it was the Christmas Zone Conference, every District was supposed to make a skit of a Book of Mormon story. We did the "Roast of Abinadi" good stuff! I will tell you more about it on Sunday!

Our investigator I told you about last week is such a stud. He came to church yesterday and is now officially a progressing investigator. We are stoked for him. He finished his semester at ISU too so now we will be able to meet with him more. He even offered to teach us some Chinese. It's gonna be legendary. 

One thing I haven't mentioned before; we have a family in our ward and both parents are deaf. A lot of the ward members have picked up some sign language in order to talk to them. We were helping someone move this week and they offered to teach us! We got the OK from President Badger and now we are going to be starting sign language lessons! It is going to be way cool. I am stoked! Who would have thought that I would actually learn a little bit of a different language while serving in Ames? Good stuff. 

I can't even explain to you guys how excited I am to talk to you guys this week.

I will end this email with a thought one of my favorite quotes is by President Hinckley. He said "There would be no Christmas if there was no Easter." How true is that statement? During the holidays, it is so important to celebrate the birth of Christ, but it is even more important to remember why his birth was so significant. The life of Jesus Christ and the Atonement of Christ is the reason that Christ's birth is celebrated. I am grateful for the Savior every day.  If you want to read a cool scripture, read 2 Nephi 9:41. That will get you in the Christmas spirit. 

I love you guys so much. Have a great week. Merry Christmas!

The soon to be Multilingual Elder,
Elder Obray 





In case you were wondering, this is how you write Chandler in Chinese.




No comments:

Post a Comment