Monday, December 12, 2016

The Devil Shall Send Forth His Mighty Winds... Literally

What's up guys?! Holy cow what a week. Life is real good over here in Ames. If you have paid much attention to the weather over here in Iowa, you will see that it got pretty chilly this week. The cold weather was humbling for me because it helped me realize a few important things. The first is that I have absolutely no idea how to wear a scarf without looking like I should work at Nordstrom or Banana Republic. Any advise on how to wear a scarf in a manly way? The second thing is that the key to happiness is warm toes and fingers. A couple of the members have hooked us up with some hand and feet warmers, but there isn't much we can do to stay warm when it is only like ten degrees and there is a blistering wind chill. That is the thing about Iowa is that the temperature has no indication of how cold it actually is. The wind here makes me sad. I forgot my beanie one day and of course we had to track all of that day. My ears literally hurt. Brutal stuff but sometimes people feel bad for us and decide to let us in to warm up. What a blessing! 

We had a sweet lesson with one of our investigators on Saturday. During the week he texted us and told us that he was talking to his friend about what we have taught him already and his friend was intrigued! He is already a missionary. His friend came along to our next lesson and we were able to answer a lot of his questions. And when I say "We" I include our investigator! He was answering a lot of the questions for us and he was spot on in his answers. We are so stoked for him. He is such a solid guy I can't wait for him to get baptized. 

A sweet little experience happened this week. We were driving down the road to where we were planning on knocking and I had the thought that we should go visit one of our potential investigators. We have taught her a couple of times and she hasn't really shown any real interest in the gospel. We headed to her house and knocked on her door. When she let us in she told us that one of her good friends had a stroke that morning. She was really upset about it. We were able to listen to her talk for a while and offer some missionary guidance, through the Book of Mormon of course. She then looked at me and told me what every missionary wants to hear, "I know that it isn't a coincidence that you showed up today." BAM! I was pumped. We are excited to go back and to try to teach her some more. Hopefully she will continue to have a soft heart like she had this week. 

Last night we had the opportunity to teach the mission prep class here in our Stake. Iowa's stake boundaries are huge so there were kids coming from all over the place. It was a solid lesson and it was cool to talk to kids who are my age preparing to serve their missions. I feel like I was in their shoes just a couple days ago. But now four months have passed by. Crazy stuff man. 

I don't have too much else to report on. Missionary work is the most frustrating thing I have ever done and sometimes I want to just curl up in a blanket in our warm apartment all day. But at the end of the day, I never regret going out and working. Missionary work is the best work and I love it. 

I love you guys and hope you have a killer week. 

The Elder With the Scarves,

Elder Obray






Elder Balderston and I played the Sheperds in the Ames 1st Ward Nativity. It was a beautiful performance. I had one line but you know it was a tear jerker.   


No comments:

Post a Comment