Monday, February 5, 2018

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Hey Hey Hey! I want to start this email by wishing two of my favorite people on the planet Happy Birthday! As soon as I logged off last week I knew I forgot something. You two are the coolest cats around. Man, you guys are getting old. Trevor, Bob I am so grateful for all of the great times that we have had together. I am super pumped for many more golf trips, games of 21 in the driveway and ski trips with you guys. I am forever grateful that I have had two excellent examples of how to be a priesthood holder in my life. I have modeled a lot of my life after you two. I love you two. I will be there to celebrate next year.

This week will probably not go down on the list of incredible weeks on my mission, but it was still good none the less. It was a pretty standard, more frustrating than usual week for us here in the Capital. We don't have a ton of time to email today, we have been running around all day plus we are right in the middle of a blizzard so it has been a wild day. So this email might be a little disappointing, I apologize in advance.

I have sad news... We are having to part ways with our beautiful friend Heather. We found out this weekend that we would be downgrading to a Chevy Malibu instead... Man, I am going to miss the wonderful times with this sweet piece of machinery. All of the six point turns in the busy Des Moines roads, barely squeezing into parking spots and never earning any trust from the parents of the kids we talk to. She will be missed. But she eats too much gas and we are basically consuming our mission budget for gas, so they decided it was time to park her for a while. Ugh...

We had some cool things happen this week including one of our investigators named C. He is a fifteen year old kid from Tanzania. He is such a stud. During church yesterday he looked at us and said, "I am going up." This man barely knows English but bore a sick testimony on his first day at church. We are so pumped for him. He is teaching us some Swahili so watch out I will be fluent here soon. If it goes as well as the Chinese lessons went, I will be multilingual when I get home.

My guy R came to church again this week. He is such a stud. He is making some great progress. Who knew? Bible requests actually turn out well sometimes.

I got an awesome email this week from my man Q. He told me that he is doing super well over in China. He also told me a few months back that he met this girl in his Branch and he likes her. Long story short, they are still dating and he told me that they are talking about getting married in San Diego! Man, how cool would that be to be able to go to that man's wedding? I will have to convince him to wait a few months, but I think I have a good shot! Man, I love that man so much. He has been a member for more than a year now, so he is looking to receive his endowment here in the near future. I couldn't be more excited for him! Isn't missionary work the best?

I really can't think of anything else too exciting to update you on. We conducted a couple of exchanges in our area this week with our DLs. We worked super hard and were able to find a plethora of new investigators. Hopefully soon we can get them to church. That is the real test.  

I learned a cool lesson with prayer this week. We have been working real hard this week so when we get into the apartment I am always exhausted. My bad habit of falling asleep on the couch was not left behind in Utah. I have this recliner chair that I fall asleep in way too much. Basically this week I was thinking about how much I do this and how lackadaisical my prayers become as a result. In one of my favorite scriptures in Alma 34:39, it says that we must be watchful unto prayer continually so that the Devil will not overcome us. I have a testimony that when we make a conscious effort to have meaningful conversations with our Heavenly Father, he will direct us and help us in all aspects of our lives. Plus we will be happier, and who doesn't want that? 

I love you guys. I hope you all recover from all of the birthday celebrations this week. Don't get too crazy without me! 

The Third Most Attractive Obray Boy,

Elder Obray III

No comments:

Post a Comment