Sunday, April 1, 2018

Small and Simple Things

Hey Hey Hey! LETS GOOO! A temple in L Town? That is what I like to hear! You know I will be hitting that thing up every time I come home on the weekends! Man I am so pumped. This conference was incredible. One of the most exciting conferences I have ever witnessed. It definitely seems like there is more urgency these days. As usual, I will tie in small cute thoughts at the end. We had another great week. Lets hop right into it.

This week was solid, on Tuesday we drove over to Iowa City for the new trainers/new trainees meeting. This is basically an opportunity for President and Sister Badger to train the new missionaries and trainers and help them accomplish their purpose. Elder Sampson and I got to role play a companionship inventory. We basically just roasted each other for the entire time and talked about the importance of having them. Solid stuff. We then drove up to one of my past areas to clean an apartment out. It was weird being back in Cedar Rapids, I am happy to announce that the place is still dirty and ghetto. I had a lot of fun in that area though. Some of my favorite memories were made tracting those streets. 

I got to go on some more exchanges this week with some zone leaders. Unfortunately, I didn't get to exchange with Elder Balderston, I went with his stud companion Elder Fox. We were in the same MTC district so it was cool to be around that man again. It is cool to learn from the leaders of the mission. All of the missionaries have unique talents and it is fun to be around all kinds of different teaching styles. Good stuff for sure.

We had another awesome lesson with my guy S this week. Sorry he is the only one I talk about these days, I promise we are working with other people, but nobody is nearly as cool or as solid as he is. He is so ready to be baptized. I am so excited for him. He is only a couple weeks away and he is already inviting his friends and family to be there. What a legend. He told us this week that he threw away his coffee pot and hasn't had any coffee for almost two weeks. What a man. He makes me so happy. He is probably the second most solid person I have ever taught. Q in the lead of course. He and his wife P came and watched conference with us today at a member's house. He also invited us over to his house last night for a family reunion. It was sick, we were early so we could catch the priesthood session. By the time we left, there was a whole squad of Liberians partying in that place. I will lob you guys a picture. I sure love that place. 

I don't have too much time to write tonight so I will conclude this email with the promised thought.
Doing the simple things that the Lord has commanded will help us prepare for the Second Coming of the Lord. Elder Oaks gave a killer talk about doing the small and simple things in order to have the spirit in our lives. The better of the two Obray boys once taught a profound lesson that has stuck with me since. In Matthew 5:48, we are commanded to be perfect. Trevor taught us that in this life we cannot be perfect in all things, but we can be perfect in some things. Reading the Book of Mormon everyday, personal prayer, tithing, and trying are all things that we can be perfect at in this life. We learned that these things are what will prepare us to meet God.  In the conference there was some killer announcements that "unfold the restoration of the gospel" and bring us closer to the Second Coming of the Savior. One of my favorite parts was a simple statement by President Nelson: "Keep His Commandments and we will be alright." I know that the small and simple things will prepare us to reach our "Celestial Potential."

I love you. I will be sitting right by your side to watch the next conference. I can't wait! Can you stream conference to the boat? 

The Small and Simple,

Elder Obray

The only ties at the dump

Squads all here (S is the man between Elder Sampson and I)

No comments:

Post a Comment