Monday, May 8, 2017

High Priest of Good Things to Come

Hey Hey Hey! Man, it has been quite the week. I look back on the week and a couple of the days I felt like laying down in the street for a while, but now it is all good. One minute you are down in the dumps, then five minutes later you could be happy as can be after someone schedules a return appointment. Hopefully I will be a little more stable by the time I get home. 

To dive into the week, we had another really frustrating week. We spent a lot of the week trying to work with the investigators that we do have already. We have a bunch of people who claim that they are interested and say that they love our visits, but they never keep commitments and never come to church. It is quite a frustrating process. We decided this weekend, that in order for us to find the elect, we need to stop spending so much time working with those who aren't the elect yet. So basically, that means that we are starting from scratch. We have had to drop several investigators which is never fun, but the field is white all ready to harvest, right? There are other people who need our time. Now we just need to find all of those people. 

We had a pretty unfortunate event take place this week. After district meeting, we took off to change from our suits and use the bathroom. While our car was parked on the side of the street next to our apartment, an elderly man backed his Silverado into the driver's side door. We were inside so we had no idea that it happened. When we got out to the car, we found an older couple knocking on the doors around us, looking for the Mormons who drove the Ford Fusion. Did I mention we have been rolling around in a fusion? Man, it is mean machine. We get some sweet looks from the guys in the rougher parts of towns. Basically, the fusion has a sweet dent in the door and we are going to have the door replaced, but I was super grateful for this man who was honest and sought us out. Who knew? There are still good people in the world. 

To give you an idea of our proselyting area, the other day, we were walking down the street, and a police officer pulls up next to us. We got ready to tell him that we weren't soliciting and that we were missionaries. He said "Do you guys know where you are? There have been several shootings in this neighborhood the past couple of nights." He was pretty nervous, but little does he know that we have some pretty sweet back up on our side. Don't worry mom I promise that I won't be getting shot any time soon! 

I am sorry this email has been super lame, but I will try to spice it up with a spiritual thought. Man, these past couple of weeks have been incredibly frustrating for me. It is so hard for me to see people so close to experiencing real joy but being to lazy to keep commitments or keep appointments.  I was reading a talk this morning by Elder Holland called Remember Lot's Wife. Bob and Trevor, I know you guys know this one. Towards the end of his talk, he mentions that Christ is "a high priest of good things to come", and that we must have faith that there are good things to come. Although it is incredibly sad for me to see people reject the gospel, or even just not take it serious enough, I know that someday, sometime, they will have an event happen in their life that will turn them to their Savior. He is the author and finisher of our faith and he extends his hands to us unconditionally. These people are being prepared for another missionary who will come by and help them towards the true church, and I am being prepared for others who I will be able to help accept the restored gospel. If we keep the perspective that there will always be a light at the end of the tunnel and Christ is that light, it becomes easier and easier to endure trials with a cheerful attitude. 

President Badger, told me in my email that there are some changes headed my way. Basically, I will be getting transferred. I will let you guys know on Sunday where I end up. Man, I can't even explain to you how excited I am to see you guys and talk to you. Don't be surprised when you answer the skype call to find a slightly chubbier and balding version of your son and brother. Have a great week this week. See you on Sunday. I will have a member text you some more details as it gets closer. Most likely Sunday night. I love you! 

Elder Obray




Whitey's is the best ice cream I have ever had. It will change your life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment