Monday, May 1, 2017

Seeds Need Water to Grow Right?

Hey Hey Hey. It has been a great week here in the Quad Cities. Man, if I could use one word to describe this week, it would be "wet". It literally rained for the entire week straight, it was crazy. I am finally understanding why Utah is called a desert. One huge plus about the rain is that my hair is continually thinning so when my hair gets wet, you can see right through it to my scalp. I guess it is just preparing me for the future when there really is no hair there. Oh boy. 

Speaking of, one night Elder Anderson and I got back to the apartment and we decided that we were pretty bored. What do missionaries do when they are bored again? Last time I shaved my legs so this time we decided to give each other haircuts. It is kind of peculiar because as missionaries we constantly challenge people to use their agency for good, for some reason I haven't really been thinking things through before I use my agency. So, we went for it. I think I need to get a job at Super Cuts because Elder Anderson's hair looked top notch. As for Elder Anderson, I think he would fit better in a Great Clips setting. Long story short, my part is pretty much on the middle of my head. I think I might have to cut my hair real short to fix it. I guess a mission really is the best place to get a bad haircut! I forgot my memory card adapter thing so pictures will have to wait until next week. 

Unfortunately, we had a couple of our investigators flake out on several appointments and had some of our most promising potentials drop us. It happens though, right? So, we hit the streets. We have decided that we ought to do some finding in some really nice areas to find that "one golden family" that is down to get baptized on the spot. It has been a pretty brutal process. We didn’t really have any signs of potential for the majority of the week. We knocked and knocked while soaking wet and cold. Door after door, people would open the door with a smile, that quickly turned to a frown and say, "I am catholic" and slam the door. Sick. Let’s just say that we planted a ton of seeds this week. And because of all this rain we have been having, those seeds will definitely sprout into some sweet trees. 

On Sunday night, we were pretty much down in the dumps. We had gone out and worked the entire week in the rain. We thought that for sure someone would at least let us in for a second to warm up. No luck. The entire week, not a single person let us in to teach them. I felt like I was back in Ames.  The success didn't come until the last door we knocked on for the week. There is that fourth floor last door thing again, except if you are serving in Iowa it is more like the fourteenth street, last door. We went to knock on one of our potentials door. When she came out she told us that she was planning on coming to church that day, but had a family emergency in Chicago. As we talked to her, she told us that she has been looking for a church to go to with her kids that will teach her kids about the gospel. Man, the Primary is the best. After we continued to talk to her, she accepted a baptismal invite and she told us she wanted her kids to be baptized too. (They are below the age of accountability unfortunately but they for sure will in a couple years). It was a great way to end the week. There is a scripture I kind of like that talks about the trial of our faith, I don't really remember what it says though. 

All in all, it was a great week. At the time, it felt like I wasn't going to make it, but looking back I am grateful. I love this work. I hope you all have a great week. CTR. I love you guys. 

A Future Hair Stylist,
Elder Obray

p.s. shout out to the Jazz for first making it to the playoffs and second actually having a series win. Of course, it happens when I am on a mission!  

No comments:

Post a Comment