Tuesday, May 30, 2017

You Would Not Believe Your Eyes

Hey Hey! What a week! Sorry this email is a day late; all the libraries were closed due to the holiday. L-Cat and Jonathan you guys are the cutest family I have ever seen. I am jealous you guys had a great trip in Hawaii. I am not too jealous though because Cedar Rapids pretty much has tropical beaches and beautiful scenery all around us... I will draw some similarities really quick. Hawaii has beaches where people wear swimsuits and men don't wear shirts. Well, Cedar rapids doesn't have any beaches but the lack of clothing remains for some. I think living in Iowa has made me more content with my appearance without a shirt on! What a blessing.  I have quite a bit to report on so I will waste no time and get right to it. 

This weekend was pretty wild. Like I mentioned before, we live within a one mile radius of like six bars so you know the party was pretty sweet. Especially on Sunday night. There was a huge party at one of the bars close to our house. When I was doing my weekly call in reports (I call the district members and they report numbers and talk about investigators) I heard like six gun shots. Yep I am pretty sure there was a gun fight right outside our apartment. Each gun shot was followed by an ambulance wailing down the street. Never fear though, we are safe! 

Another fun story of the week. One night we went knocking to finish off the night. It was about 8:45 so people were extra cranky that two white boys were knocking on their door. At one of these doors, a couple sweet daughters of God came bursting out of the door, and asked what we wanted. I barely had time to say that we were missionaries before getting cussed out like never before. I have never heard the F word used so many times in such little time. Usually if this is the case, I get a little sassy and try to save the OYM but this time I just wanted to get out of there. Man, it was brutal. Pray for that woman. There really isn't a moral of this story, that is all. 

We are working with an awesome lady named D. She is getting ready to be baptized on July 1st. She has had a pretty tough life. She has some health challenges so she can’t work or drive. She is awesome though. We went through the baptism questions with her yesterday and she is all good to go. We just need to help her with a couple other things and she will be all good to get baptized! Hoorah!

One thing that is great about the Midwest is that there are fireflies all over the place at night. We will be talking to someone and all of the sudden a yellow light will start flashing around us. It is the coolest thing. That is all. 

Out of our teaching pool, more than half of them are from Africa. I love those people so much. Their love for the Savior and their humility is so inspiring. We talked to a guy the other day that when he saw that our name tags said Jesus Christ he stopped and said, "Oh I love that man!" I want to go and do some humanitarian work in Africa when I get home. I love them. Hopefully we will have a couple of them enter the waters of Baptism here soon. They are great. 

Not too much else to report on this week. The District is starting to see more success and we are excited about the work going down here in Cedar Rapids. 

I love you guys! Have a great week!

Elder Obray



You see stuff like this all the time. Pretty sure this guy was under the influence. He fell off his bike twice while we were watching him.

No comments:

Post a Comment